Friday, January 19, 2018

Pine nuts and 555


A few years back I bought a pack of 555 cigarettes in a tiny convenience store in Harvard Square. 555 is/was a British tobacco manufacturer whose product was as coveted as Dunhill, another British brand. You don’t see 555 much in the US so I was rather excited to see them in the store and bought one. My father who lived abroad smoked them when he returned home for a brief stay once in a while. One of his fancy leather bags would be full of 555 and I would pilfer them to smoke with my buddies. The cigarettes had distinct smell when you opened a pack. That smell was deeply ingrained in my memory as it was more than a smell but one of few small windows through which I viewed and imagined the world beyond. The cigarettes I bought in the store had a different look and were of poor quality in every way and listed Singapore as the country of origin—the ones I smoked were made in England. Anyway, I really bought the cigarettes for the smell but to my disappointment the smell wasn’t there either. When I recently saw a headline on NK News about a Singaporean conglomerate’s joint venture cigarette factory with North Korea I immediately thought about the pack. Could that have been one of those counterfeit cigarettes made in North Korea?

One of the things that defectors from the border region mention is endless hours they spent shelling pine nuts at home in the dark since normally there was no electricity. There are traders who buy pine nuts in shell from the market (not sure where the nuts come from. Russia, China?) and have the villagers shell them so that they can sell the product to China. There was a point many years back when my neighborhood Whole Foods store started selling pine nuts. It struck me odd at the time that pine nuts were flooding Whole Foods stores in Cambridge so suddenly because until then I had to go to a Korean grocery store named Reliable Market in Somerville for them. I figured then that maybe some breakthrough in pine nut shelling technology was responsible for it but maybe something else was at work?

Defector Memoirs (and Hwang Jang-yop)

I’ve always wanted to compile a complete list of all the North Korean defector memoirs. There are currently 14 memoirs about defectors f...