Sunday, February 11, 2018

A River in Darkness by Masaji Ishikawa

Masaji Ishikawa escaped from North Korea in 1996 and wrote a book about his existence in what he calls “that hell on earth." This well-told story was originally published in Japanese in 2000. The English edition was published by AmazonCrossing in December 2017. Seventeen years seem like a long time. I hope the publisher takes a stab at another book in Japanese called "Kaikyo no Aria.” Among notable aspects about Mr. Ishikawa’s story is that it is the first book by a so-called “returnee” from Japan translated into English. But perhaps what is most remarkable about the story for me is the unusual vantage point of the author afforded by his formative experience growing up in Japan. I think that makes the book unique among the few North Korean defector memoirs in English. Even though he was a young boy, he arrived in North Korea with awareness that there was a different, better world outside—most North Koreans do not have the benefit (or, shall I say, misfortune) of that awareness—which makes the story that much more poignant. I highly recommend this book. I’ve read all the defector memoirs in English. Oddly enough no matter how many stories I read or listen to (there are good deal of defector stories available on Youtube in Korean) each new story never ceases to amaze me. You think you’ve just read or heard the worst but no.

If you want to learn about North Korea, read and listen to defector stories. There is a good number of memoirs by North Korean defectors published in South Korea. Some of those stories have been translated into English. But not nearly enough. I hope more of them are made available to English speaking audiences especially considering that (if you believe this sort of thing http://www.marketresearchworld.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=102) South Koreans spend the least amount of time reading. Not only that but many South Koreans simply do not believe defector stories. Yes, the people who have front row seats.  Some may ask why this horror show of human suffering is still allowed to continue and how could the world turn a blind eye. The fact is, as I write this, the world is not only turning a blind eye but actively engaged in normalizing North Korea. Yes, you would expect that from countries like China and Russia but South Korea? The US? Or perhaps, just perhaps, this is nothing more than South Korea’s cynical ploy to insure the games against Kim Jong-un’s deadly provocations. But I doubt it. Many Americans scorn Vice President Pence for not standing and clapping for the regime’s delegation at the Olympics. He is criticized for not showing respect. Perhaps I have no right to criticize the critics because, I’m ashamed to say, I had been until recently one of them. I had had my share of illusions. And for that I owe Mr. Ishikawa an apology.

Defector Memoirs (and Hwang Jang-yop)

I’ve always wanted to compile a complete list of all the North Korean defector memoirs. There are currently 14 memoirs about defectors f...